We started studying Ether 3 this week. The scripture mastery for the week comes this chapter
Read scripture in context:
The Jaredites were commanded to build barges to cross the great deep. When the barges were finished, the Brother of Jared asked if they were going to go in darkness. “And the Lord said unto the brother of Jared: What will ye that I should do that ye may have light in your vessels? For behold, ye cannot have windows, for they will be dashed in pieces; neither shall ye take fire with you, for ye shall not go by the light of fire.” Ether 2:23 The brother of Jared made sixteen small clear stones and asked the Lord to touch them that they might shine forth in darkness. The brother of Jared sees the finger of the Lord and is brought back into the Lord's presence.
Scripture to Memorize:
And the Lord said unto him: Believest thou the words which I shall speak? And he answered: Yea, Lord, I know that thou speakest the truth, for thou art a God of truth, and canst not lie. And when he had said these words, behold, the Lord showed himself unto him, and said: Because thou knowest these things ye are redeemed from the fall; therefore ye are brought back into my presence; therefore I show myself unto you. Behold, I am he who was prepared from the foundation of the world to redeem my people. Behold, I am Jesus Christ. I am the Father and the Son. In me shall all mankind have life, and that eternally, even they who shall believe on my name; and they shall become my sons and my daughters. Ether 3:11-14
Questions to Discuss:
Why did the Lord ask the Brother of Jared if he would believe the words which He would speak? How did the Brother of Jared know God speaks the truth? Why is it important to know God cannot lie? What things gave the brother of Jared knowledge? Can we be redeemed from the fall without coming back into Jesus's presence? Why does Jesus proclaim his mission to the Brother of Jared? How is Jesus the Father? When Christ redeems us, who is our father? Who are Christ's people? Are we sons and daughters of God before we are redeemed? What does it mean to believe on Christ's name?
Marking the Scripture:
- Underline the question the Lord asks the Brother of Jared in one color
- Underline the Brother of Jared's answer in another color
- In another color underline these four phrases: knowest these things, redeemed from the fall, brought back into my presence, I show myself unto you. How are all these a description of the same thing?
- In another color underline the four things Jesus Christ proclaims about his mission.
The Meaning of Words:
- redeemed: Ransomed; delivered from bondage, distress, penalty, liability, or from the possession of another, by paying an equivalent.
- believe: To credit upon the authority or testimony of another; to be persuaded of the truth of something upon the declaration of another, or upon evidence furnished by reasons, arguments, and deductions of the mind, or by other circumstances, than personal knowledge.
- know: To perceive with certainty; to understand clearly; to have a clear and certain perception of truth, fact, or any thing that actually exists.
Other Helpful Hints are posted at the end of - Remember and Hear God's Voice
Scrapbook Copy of Scripture:
After the children memorize the verse, they can put this colored copy in their Book of Mormon scrapbook. The picture is there to help them remember this scripture is found in the same chapter where the Lord touches the sixteen clear stones and makes them shine.
If they want to memorize it for life, you can use the chart at the end of the Memorize For Life post.
Here is a simpler version for those who only want to memorize one verse. I use this scriptures with the younger children.