Sunday, February 12, 2017

Scripture Mastery – 3 Nephi 11:31-41

Read scripture in context:

After his resurrection, Jesus shows himself to the Nephites. They come forth one by one and touch and see Him. Jesus gives authority to baptize and teaches how this is to be done. There is to be no contention concerning the points of His doctrine. Jesus Christ declares his doctrine.

Scripture to Memorize:

Behold, verily, verily, I say unto you, I will declare unto you my doctrine. And this is my doctrine, and it is the doctrine which the Father hath given unto me; and I bear record of the Father, and the Father beareth record of me, and the Holy Ghost beareth record of the Father and me; and I bear record that the Father commandeth all men, everywhere, to repent and believe in me. And whoso believeth in me, and is baptized, the same shall be saved; and they are they who shall inherit the kingdom of God. And whoso believeth not in me, and is not baptized, shall be damned. Verily, verily, I say unto you, that this is my doctrine, and I bear record of it from the Father; and whoso believeth in me believeth in the Father also; and unto him will the Father bear record of me, for he will visit him with fire and with the Holy Ghost. And thus will the Father bear record of me, and the Holy Ghost will bear record unto him of the Father and me; for the Father, and I, and the Holy Ghost are one. And again I say unto you, ye must repent, and become as a little child, and be baptized in my name, or ye can in nowise receive these things. And again I say unto you, ye must repent, and be baptized in my name, and become as a little child, or ye can in nowise inherit the kingdom of God. Verily, verily, I say unto you, that this is my doctrine, and whoso buildeth upon this buildeth upon my rock, and the gates of hell shall not prevail against them. And whoso shall declare more or less than this, and establish it for my doctrine, the same cometh of evil, and is not built upon my rock; but he buildeth upon a sandy foundation, and the gates of hell stand open to receive such when the floods come and the winds beat upon them. Therefore, go forth unto this people, and declare the words which I have spoken, unto the ends of the earth. 3 Nephi 11:31-41

The Meaning of Words:

doctrine: whatever is laid down as true by an instructor or master.
bear:  To show or exhibit; to relate; to carry, to convey; to withstand something difficult or painful, to support or hold up; sustain, cause to be born, bring forth, provide evidence for. 
record:  To cause to be remembered; an authentic account of any facts and proceedings
damned: sentenced to everlasting punishment in a future state; condemned
declare: To make known; to tell explicitly; to manifest or communicate plainly to others by words. To publish; to proclaim.
establish: To enact or decree by authority and for permanence; to ordain; to appoint; 

Questions to Discuss:

Why does Jesus say this is His doctrine, when it is the doctrine the Father hath given unto Him? What are the three things Jesus asks us to repent and do? Why does he bear record of the Father and the Father bears record of Him, but they don't bear record of the Holy Ghost? What is the Father's commandment to all men? What is required to be saved? Who will inherit the kingdom of God? What does it mean to be damned? How important is baptism? If we believe in Jesus, who will we also believe in? How will the Father bear record of Jesus? How will the Father visit those who believe in Jesus? What does it mean “the Father, and I, and the Holy Ghost are one”? How does the Holy Ghost bear record of Jesus and the Father? How do we become as a little child? What are the gates of hell? What is the difference between building upon a sandy foundation and building upon a rock? When are the gates of hell open to receive those who do not believe in Christ, have not been baptized, and are not as a little child? What are we asked to do with this doctrine? How have we added to and taken away from the doctrine of Christ? How have we made the doctrine of Christ complicated?

Marking the Scripture:

You can use a different color to mark each item.
  1. This is a long passage and can be divided into three section. Each section begins with verily, verily.
  2. Highlight the six phrases that have the word “doctrine” in it.
  3. Highlight the eight phrases that have the word “bear/beareth record” in it.
  4. Highlight the three phrases that have the word “repent” in it. Notice in the second and third phrases the order of become as a little child and be baptized have been switched. What does this mean?
  5. It starts with Behold and ends with Therefore. What does Jesus want us to see? What does he want us to do with His doctrine?
  6. Highlight all “believe, believeth, believeth not”. How important is this?
  7. Highlight the words having to do with construction & weather, “buildeth, my rock, gates of hell, sandy foundation, floods, winds”. What do these symbols mean?

Behold, verily, verily, I say unto you, I will declare unto you my doctrine. And this is my doctrine, and it is the doctrine which the Father hath given unto me; and I bear record of the Father, and the Father beareth record of me, and the Holy Ghost beareth record of the Father and me; and I bear record that the Father commandeth all men, everywhere, to repent and believe in me. And whoso believeth in me, and is baptized, the same shall be saved; and they are they who shall inherit the kingdom of God. And whoso believeth not in me, and is not baptized, shall be damned. Verily, verily, I say unto you, that this is my doctrine, and I bear record of it from the Father; and whoso believeth in me believeth in the Father also; and unto him will the Father bear record of me, for he will visit him with fire and with the Holy Ghost. And thus will the Father bear record of me, and the Holy Ghost will bear record unto him of the Father and me; for the Father, and I, and the Holy Ghost are one. And again I say unto you, ye must repent, and become as a little child, and be baptized in my name, or ye can in nowise receive these things. And again I say unto you, ye must repent, and be baptized in my name, and become as a little child, or ye can in nowise inherit the kingdom of God. Verily, verily, I say unto you, that this is my doctrine, and whoso buildeth upon this buildeth upon my rock, and the gates of hell shall not prevail against them. And whoso shall declare more or less than this, and establish it for my doctrine, the same cometh of evil, and is not built upon my rock; but he buildeth upon a sandy foundation, and the gates of hell stand open to receive such when the floods come and the winds beat upon them. Therefore, go forth unto this people, and declare the words which I have spoken, unto the ends of the earth. 3 Nephi 11:31-41

Scrapbook Copy of Scripture:


After the children memorize the verse, they can put this colored copy in their Book of Mormon Scrapbook
.

Here is a smaller section to memorize that comes from this same passage. My younger children do better memorizing a smaller passage.


If you want to memorize it for life, you can use the chart at the end of the Memorize For Life post.  

Other Helpful Hints are posted at the end of - Remember and Hear God's Voice

No comments:

Post a Comment