Sunday, March 12, 2017

Scripture Mastery – Alma 13 Sentences 75-81

Read scripture in context:

Alma teaches the Zoramites who have been humbled because of the poverty. He teaches them how to have faith in the word of God.

Scripture to Memorize:

Yea, there are many who do say: If thou wilt show unto us a sign from heaven, then we shall know of a surety; then we shall believe. Now I ask, is this faith? Behold, I say unto you, Nay; for if a man knoweth a thing he hath no cause to believe, for he knoweth it. And now, how much more cursed is he that knoweth the will of God and doeth it not, than he that only believeth, or only hath cause to believe, and falleth into transgression? Now of this thing ye must judge. Behold, I say unto you, that it is on the one hand even as it is on the other; and it shall be unto every man according to his work. And now as I said concerning faith—faith is not to have a perfect knowledge of things; therefore if ye have faith ye hope for things which are not seen, which are true. Alma 13 Sentences 75-81

The Meaning of Words:

Sign: A token; something by which another thing is shown or represented; any visible thing, any motion, appearance or event which indicates the existence or approach of something else. A wonder; a miracle; a prodigy; a remarkable transaction, event or phenomenon. Some visible transaction, event or appearance intended as proof or evidence of something else; hence; proof; evidence by sight.

Surety: Foundation of stability; support. Evidence; ratification; confirmation.

Cause: The reason or motive that urges, moves, or impels the mind to act or decide.

Perfect: Finished; complete; Fully informed; Manifesting perfection. To instruct fully.

Hope: Confidence in a future event; the highest degree of well founded expectation of good; That which gives hope; he or that which furnishes ground of expectation, or promises desired good.

Questions to Discuss:

Why don't signs produce faith? Why does a wicked and adulterous generation seek after a sign? Why will the wicked only believe what they can experience with their five senses? Faith works by mental exertion and words. Can I work by faith if I will only believe what has already been manifested by another being's faith? Why am I more cursed if I know the will of God and don't do it than if I only believe? What must I judge? What is on the one hand even as it is on the other? What does Alma mean “ it shall be unto every man according to his work”? Why must I work by faith instead of requiring others to work by faith in my behalf? How are the sign seekers handicapped? Signs shall follow them that believe (Mormon 9:24). Do signs produce faith or are the result of faith? Belief leads to faith which leads to knowledge. How are we condemned when we want to take the last step before the first step?What am I hoping for? How do I know what is true? Why do I need to have faith to have hope and have hope to have faith? How do these two work together? “Wherefore, if a man have faith he must needs have hope; for without faith there cannot be any hope.” 

Marking the Scripture:
  1. There is a pattern that helps me remember this verse. “Now. . . Behold, I say unto you . . . And Now”. Then the pattern repeats itself. Highlight this in pink.
  2. Belief leads to faith which leads to knowledge. Underline all three of these words in blue.
  3. The “if”, “then”, “therefore”, and “for” show cause and effect. Highlight all these words in green.
  4. Highlight the first few words of the scripture in purple. It is important to remember how the scripture begins. I'm memorizing many scriptures simultaneously, so I practice recalling the first few words in each of the scriptures that I master. If I can get started, I can usually recall the entire passage.
Yea, there are many who do say: If thou wilt show unto us a sign from heaven, then we shall know of a surety; then we shall believe. Now I ask, is this faith? Behold, I say unto you, Nay; if a man knoweth a thing he hath no cause to believe, for he knoweth it. And now, how much more cursed is he that knoweth the will of God and doeth it not, than he that only believeth, or only hath cause to believe, and falleth into transgression? Now of this thing ye must judge. Behold, I say unto you, that it is on the one hand even as it is on the other; and it shall be unto every man according to his work. And now as I said concerning faithfaith is not to have a perfect knowledge of things; therefore if ye have faith ye hope for things which are not seen, which are true. Alma 13 Sentences 75-81

Scrapbook Copy of Scripture:



Here is a smaller section to memorize that comes from this same passage. My younger children do better memorizing a smaller passage.


After the children memorize the verse, they can put this colored copy in their Book of Mormon Scrapbook
.
If you want to memorize it for life, you can use the chart at the end of the Memorize For Life post.

Other Helpful Hints are posted at the end of - Remember and Hear God's Voice

No comments:

Post a Comment